Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Falling Whistles



Some of my friends have heard me speak quite often about an organization called Falling Whistles. In fact, they might actually be tired of hearing about it constantly, but are way too polite to tell me to get off the subject! For those that might be unfamiliar, this organization is dedicated to raising awareness about the social and humanitarian needs that have been created by the civil war raging in the Democratic Republic of Congo, specifically related to child soldiers. I personally have been blown away at the concept of soldiers taking children, some as young as five or six, from their homes and schools, handing them guns and involving them in a war that has nothing to do with them. This war has been going on since before I was born, and to date has left 5.4 million dead, 200,000 women raped, and a generation of children stuck in cycles of violence.

The story of the Congo has affected me, and it is a story that cannot be ignored once it has been heard.

There are times that I wish I hadn’t heard about this conflict. I want to stop telling everyone about it. I wish I could erase the memory of reading about children too small to carry firearms that are handed whistles and told to walk in front of the other soldiers and blow them, and that the tiny sound coming from that whistle would scare away the soldiers on the other side of the battle. These children serve as a tiny human shield, their bodies taking bullets from soldiers on both sides, since any that get too scared and try to run are shot from behind to ‘inspire’ others to bravery. The idea of war just seems so foreign to me, and the idea of putting children in that sort of danger has always affected me, since I was a child myself. My first memory of being astounded by the pain other humans could inflict was when I was ten. It was right after the OKC bombing, and I had seen a newspaper cover of a now famous picture. It was of a firefighter holding the burned body of a girl that had been in the daycare when the building was attacked. A few years later I watched a film called “Harrison’s Flowers,” and once again I was deeply affected by a scene where soldiers of the conflict in Yugoslavia led a group of children into a nearly destroyed building before they ran out and tossed grenades inside. I remember having to stop the movie at that point and starting to sob, until I had cried so much my stomach hurt. The idea of causing harm to a child has only become more unbelievable to me now that I have become a mother. As much as I have learned of the possible depravity of man, it still has the capability to surprise me.

Thankfully, I also serve a God who has a heart for the oppressed, one who is all-powerful and who gives us the opportunity to serve Him by taking care of ‘the least of these.’ One of the familiar titles for Jesus is “the Prince of Peace,” and while total utopia is unreachable here on earth, there is still the opportunity to serve Him by working to bring peace to others. Some individuals that are working to bring about peace in the Congo are eight interns for Falling Whistles. These young men and women are currently on a cross country bike tour to raise awareness about the upcoming democratic elections that are taking place in the Congo on November 27, 2011. I have been corresponding with representatives for Falling Whistles, and found out that the interns will be stopping in Fayetteville on June 28 and 29, and July 1 and 2. I have yet to set up any sort of formal speaking engagements for them, but I would love the opportunity to get to know them and hear what they have to say. They are going to be invited to the small group we attend on the 28th, if for nothing more than a home-cooked meal and an opportunity to meet some of the members of the Grace Church community and share their story. I’m not totally sure of their sleeping arrangements while they’re in town, whether they’re staying in hotels or at a campground, but I’m sure that there are tangible needs that can be met for them while they’re here. I’m sure they would love to be fed, or even just a hot shower if someone wanted to offer their bathroom and the cost of water. These men and women, most of whom are in their 20’s, are giving up their summer vacations for a cause they believe in before going back to college. It’s a cause I believe in as well, and I think there’s a reason I can’t get this subject out of my head.

If you would like more information, please feel free to visit the Falling Whistles website: www.fallingwhistles.com/story

The whistle necklace pictured is one of six available for sale, either at Mason’s here in Fayetteville, or through the Falling Whistles website. 100% of the proceeds go towards advocating for and rehabilitating those affected by this war.

No comments:

Post a Comment